moong dhal dosa
MAKES 8-10 DOSAS : MODERATE
PREP TIMe : SOAK OVERNIGHT
COOKING TIME : 5-10 minutes
DOSHIC EFFECt + aggravates - Balances
- Vata - Pitta + Kapha
1 cup whole green moong dal
1/4 cup of medium grain rice
1 1/2 cups of water
1 tbsp ginger root
2 tbsp leek
2 tbsp fresh coriander stalks
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek
2 pinches of asafoetida
1/2 tsp salt
ghee to cook with
1. Soak moong dal and rice overnight
2. Once moong has soaked overnight, rinse both moong and rice until the water becomes clear.
3. Add all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until mixture becomes smooth and creamy.
3. Heat a dosa pan or flat fry pan and grease with a little ghee and wipe it smoothly over the pan. Pour about a ladle full of dosa mix into the centre of the pan.
4. Using the back of your ladle, gently spread the batter with a circular motion from the centre towards the sides of the pan.
5. Since we are not making very crispy dosas, don't spread it too thin. The dosa should be more or less evenly thick.
6. Once the dosa starts to slightly bubble and you notice the dosa is half cooked which should take a few minutes, flip it over and cook the other side for the same time.
7. Serve with dosa coconut chutney, avocado, coriander, spinach or anything that takes your fancy. You can eat dosa with pretty much anything! It's like a savoury crepe.
Very easy to prepare and cook, is a great breakfast idea and even for lunch served with your favourite yummy vegetables and chutneys. Can also be made into thicker smaller pancakes.
You could alter this recipe and not add any rice and just use whole moong instead
Could use yellow moong instead of whole (doesn't need to be soaked overnight 1-2 hours is best).
BENEFITS OF MOONG DHAL
Moong Dal is packed with protein, low on carbs, and is one of the best foods for vegetarians - vital for a balanced diet. Yellow moong dal is extremely light and easy to digest. It is considered the tridoshic bean in Ayurveda, that which does not aggravate any dosha.
with moong dhal
Careful food combining can dramatically improve the quality of digestion, support the body in receiving a deeper level of nourishment, and positively impact our overall health.
Fruit, milk, cheese, eggs, meat, fish
Grains, vegetables, other beans, nuts, seeds